Blue Cheese Potato Sherry Potage






thepassionatecook is a beautiful blog with FANTASTIC recipes. I fell upon this recipe randomly and knew I had to do this. I permitted myself to do a bit more "risky" dishes for my wine party because I knew that if the guests really don't like something they can not eat it and still have more to eat from one of the other courses. 

Initially I would not have chosen this recipe for a normal dinner party as my potage to serve before the main course, however I suggest this to everyone! This is a very beautiful potage. Very rich and layered in flavour. "Risk" it and serve absolutely with the rye bread. I put diced garlic pieces and generous amount of butter spread on the slice of bread. It marries beautifully and is a great dance of flavours in the mouth! SERIOUSLY! A MUST TRY! Remember it is very rich, so a little goes a long way. 

The only mistake I made, only because I forgot not because I wasn't reminded to do so from thepassionatecook, that if serving in shot glasses (which I did) be sure the consistency is more liquid so people can just drink the soup out of the shot glass and not need a spoon. I forgot and had to pull out the spoons. It was still delectable!

 F U N D A B B L E R  F A C T

Sherry originates from the southern part of Spain's wine region, deeming it to be the southern-most region in Europe to make wine. The "Denominacion de Origen" has held this history in its vineyards as far back as 3000 years ago! (For greater detail and fantastic info please refer to passionatefoodi's blog).


Takes about 30 min to make
Makes about 60 shot glasses or 2-4 servings in a bowl

 I N G R E D I E T N S  

(Original  Recipe at: thepassionatecook

Onion - 1
Clove garlic - 1
Butter - 1 tbsp
Floury potatoes (e.g. Vivaldi or baking potatoes)  500 g  (about 5 medium potatoes, smaller than your fist)
Sherry oloroso - 100 ml
Vegetable stock - 500 ml
Gorgonzola (I used a blue cheese from Costco) - 75 g
salt, pepper to taste
For the garlic butter toasts:
Rye bread - 3 - 5 very thin slices
Butter (lightly salted) - 15 g
Clove garlic - 1 small  (I used 3)

 I N S T R U C T I O N S 
Peel and chop the onions and crush the garlic. In a heavy-based pot, melt the butter, then fry the onion until translucent. 



Peel and finely dice the potatoes. Add the garlic and potatoes to the onions and cook for another few minutes. 


Deglaze with the sherry, leave to bubble for about 3 minutes.  


Add the stock. Cook on medium to low heat until the potatoes are soft.

Add the diced Gorgonzola and leave to melt. Puree and season with salt and pepper.


For the toasts, melt the butter in a pan, season with pepper. Cut the rye slices into strips that comfortably sit on the rim of the glasses without touching the soup. Brush toasts with garlic butter and brown under the preheated grill for about 2 minutes.



If serving in shot glasses, dilute until the soup has a comfortable pouring consistency, you don't want half of the soup stuck in the glass. Arranging is easiest using a squeeze bottle to pour into the shot glasses, make sure the tray/plate you're serving the shot glasses on is not slippery or place chives underneath to prevent slippage.
Top each glass with a rye toast and serve the soup warm, but not scalding - the glasses must be easy to hold and the soup quick to drink.
If serving as a starter, you could serve the rye bread in the form of chunky croutons rather than thin toasts - dice accordingly and toss in the warm garlic butter, then top the soup with the croutons just before serving.




 N O T E  I made this a couple days in advance, everything except the blue cheese. Right before the guests arrived I warmed it up and added the blue cheese gave it another mix with the hand emulsifier and VOILÀ! Ready to go. Super cool!


Comments

Popular Posts