Fish Friday au Marché Jean Talon


Friday is Fish day here at Marché Jean Talon. Most vendors stock up on Friday for the weekend rush, and with fish, freshness is a must! Unfortunately as of a few years ago I am not able to eat fish. I became intolerant to the mercury found in the fish, my liver just couldn't take it any more so I broke out in hives and even had some throat swelling…. AK! So sad, because fish is so good for you and yummy. Needless to say, alternate sours of Omegas have their role in our home. 




Anyway I was walking around last week at the market and noticed their shipment. Monsieur J.P. was kind enough to allow me to run and get my camera while he took a little coffee break. 





"It was Halibut day"(flétan- my word for the day, halibut in French). J.P. informed me that halibut is  the only fish you can get 4 filets from. Because it is a flat fish, you have both sides to use. The season for Halibut fishing is in the summer. I enjoyed seeing the process. Often times we forget where our food comes from.




Halibut has a moderate content of mercury. Pregnant women and young children are advised to choose fish with mild mercury content.



I find it SO complicated to be responsible choosing fish. In a way I'm thankful I don't have to make the moral, environmentally conscious decisions anymore. For those of you who do eat fish, consider yourself deemed as responsible eaters and be wise when choosing your fish.







This is a great site I found that helps a bit. It is the EDF (Environmental Defence Fund) They made a great little visual chart on which fish is the "eco-best, eco-ok and eco-worst" to eat. It also notes the fish with the higher mercury content as well as those with highest Omega content! 







 FUNDABBLER FACT 

The Atlantic Halibut is fished by gillnet, classifying it as an "eco-worst" fish to choose.  Be responsible in your fish choices while still eating well. 


My fabulous friend Ms. M had previously requested a Ceviche, she just had her little girl so NOW I can happily post this knowing she can make some if she wants! Congrats on your beautiful bundle of joy! 

This recipe is from Food and Love (so it's not my own recipe) Check out his site to see pictures of his recipe and other fun ideas!

I have not made it (because of the whole allergy thing) but just reading through makes my mouth water. Thanks Robert! I love the fact that he gives you a wine pairing suggestion. GREAT TIP! 

Try it out and let my taste buds live vicariously through yours!



Makes about 4 servings or 8 smaller sides

 INGREDIENTS 

Halibut Fillet - about 2 lbs
Red Onion - 1 medium thinly sliced
Lime Juice - 2 cups freshly squeezed
Green Jalapeno - 3 tablespoons brunoise
Red Bell Pepper - 3 tablespoons finely chopped
Cilantro - 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup hand torn
Olive oil - 4 tablespoons
Sea Salt - are or flakey to garnish


 INSTRUCTIONS  

Prepare the fish: Skin and bone. Remove any darker pieces of flesh, particularly anything along the blood line. Pat the remaining flesh dry. Cut into thin slices not unlike sashimi servings.
Combine the halibut, red onion, and lime juice in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Gently stir to coat. Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes, gently stirring halfway through.
Remove from the refrigerator. Gently strain the fish and onions through a mesh strainer. Transfer the fish to a clean mixing bowl.
Add the jalapeño, red pepper, and 1 tablespoon of cilantro. Gently stir to combine.
Divide among plates. Top each serving with a glug or two of olive oil. Garnish with a large or flakey finishing sea salt, such as Bali Pyramid Salt. Garnish with the remaining cilantro. Serve. Pairs well with a Spanish white wine of the Albariño grape.

ENJOY!

Comments

Popular Posts