Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sandwiches

One of my aunt's friends actually taught me this recipe. I think the first time I ate this I was about 12. Loved it and have made it since, well since I have been cooking. Ideally it is made on the BBQ but my hubby wasn't home and I have a fear of the BBQ... I promise I'll get over it some day soon, but for now, the oven is what I used. You can also cook your mushrooms in the toaster oven if you are making this for 2.




Serves 5
Takes about 1 hour to prepare and make

 FUNDABBLER FACT 

Mushrooms remain very active after harvest compared to most produce, and may even continue to grow. During four days storage at room temperature, they lose about half of their energy reserves to the formation of cell-wall chitin. The wait actually adds to their flavour!  (On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee)

 INGREDIENTS 

Portobello Mushrooms - 5
Garlic cloves - 2 crushed
Marinated Roasted bell peppers - 2 (from a jar, or if you're motivated, yourself)
Cheese of your choice - (I chose Mozzarella) as much/or little as you would like
Salad dressing - I chose Balsamic vinaigrette other good ones are Italian, or just olive oil and balsamic vinegar with some salt and pepper.
Pita bread - 4 of them cut in half 
Olive oil - to brush or spray on

 INSTRUCTIONS 

Pre-heat your BBQ or toaster oven or regular oven to 400 degrees F. Rinse your mushrooms (contrary to what some people say, it is ok to wash your mushrooms, as long as you are going to cook them immediately).



Prepare your Marinade- mix about half a cup of either Italian salad dressing, a balsamic vinaigrette or just balsamic vinegar and olive oil with some crushed garlic and about 3 tablespoons of olive oil.



Brush your marinade onto your mushrooms generously. Place in oven and allow to cook for about 20 - 30 min.



While your mushrooms are cooking, slice your cheese.



Cut your marinated bell peppers.



Spritz your pita breads that have been halved and opened with a bit more olive oil. You could grill your pitas a bit if you like.


Ok so I love oil spritzer, you don't need it, it's just fun. Your brush can do the same, or a clean finger I imagine… but this I just love! 



Then start piling it up. I like to cut the mushrooms in half and place them inside the pita bread so they are well dispersed. 



Then the cheese and roasted bell peppers. 



I added fresh onions to mine but my husband said it tasted better without. You pick. I LOVE onions so… bad reference. 



The toddler version of the meal (fresh bell peppers, mozzarella cubes and mushrooms with pita slice; everything but the mushrooms were eaten, go figure!)




Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Hi and thanks for sharing this yummy recipe. I was just looking for 'how long to grill mushrooms in a toaster oven. LOL Good old Google showed me the way. I would add the onions as well just to give it an edge.

    Thanks again for sharing.

    John in Adelaide S.A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John! Thanks for stopping by! I hope your mushrooms turned out well! Enjoy them with some yummy wine from your area! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts